Skip to main content


Knowledge Base

Curbside/Multi-Family GHG Reporting FAQ (Recycle BC)

Are there any administrative activities included as GHG reporting requirements?

For curbside/multi-family collection, any vehicle fuel or electricity consumption associated with the administration of the Recycle BC collection contract should be reported. This should be limited to activities such as route monitoring or inspections/auditing. The paper from promotional literature associated with the Recycle BC developed and distributed by the collector should also be reported. There is no requirement to report any fuel or electricity consumption from administration offices that are used to support the Curbside Recycle BC PPP Program.

Are there any special guidelines for how to report multi-family GHG data?

Multi-family requirements are the same as curbside , and are described in the Curbside and Multi-Family GHG section of this guide.

We have some routes that collect PPP from curbside households and multi-family buildings in the same collection truck. How do we allocate the fuel quantities used for these trucks between curbside and multi-family contracts?

For these routes there is no need to allocate the fuel consumption between curbside and multi-family contracts. All fuel consumption under this scenario is reported to the curbside contract and a Zero Emissions report must be submitted for the multi-family contract in order for reporting to be considered complete.

We co-collect garbage and recycling. How do we determine the Recycle BC allocation of our collection fleet’s fuel consumption – by weight or by volume?

For co-collection, we recommend assigning the portion related to recycling on a volume basis, such as how the vehicle compartment split is allocated (e.g. 65% garbage/35% recycling). However, for local governments who are already reporting through CARIP using an allocation methodology by weight, it is important that the same methodology be used for Recycle BC reporting to remain consistent.

We use additional vehicles to support the collection of PPP materials for recycling, such as delivery vehicles for carts and recycling bins, audits, and other activities. Do we report on the fuel used for these additional activities that support PPP recycling?

Yes, the fuel consumption related to these additional vehicles should be included in your reporting scope.

Is data entered on a per vehicle basis or as a total for our entire fleet? What if different vehicle classes are used, how are they entered?

Please enter total fleet data by each vehicle class.

For vehicles picking up both commercial material and Recycle BC residential material in the same day, do we separate fuel use by volume or by distance driven to various sites?

This would depend on whether the material is being collected on the same or on a different route as Recycle BC material. If commercial material is being pickup up on the same route as the Recycle BC material, then use the ICI factor applicable for your program to calculate the proportion of fuel to discount. If collected on a separate route, then an allocation based on total distance travelled or vehicle time used can be applied to calculate the total fuel used to collect Recycle BC material.

We self-consolidate our material before GFL hauls it away. Who reports activities related to self-consolidation (SC) sites?

It is the responsibility of the collector to submit data related to the self-consolidation site if you are the collector that manages the site. If you are the collector reporting information related to the self-consolidation site, you will see it listed as a separate originating site within your account login. Contact the GHG reporting team if you have any questions related to reporting your self-consolidation site.

  • Was this article helpful?