Skip to main content


Knowledge Base

Depot GHG Reporting FAQ (Recycle BC)

Are there any administrative activities included as GHG reporting requirements?

For Depot Collection, include fuels or electricity associated with any on-site administrative offices that is attributable to the management of Recycle BC PPP materials. If PPP materials are collected and/or stored indoors, it is recommended to attribute total indoor consumption of fuels and electricity to Recycle BC proportionate to indoor floor space used for Recycle BC PPP materials. If materials are stored outdoors, a proportion of the fuels and/or electricity of on-site administrative offices should also be attributed to Recycle BC. The paper from promotional literature associated with the Recycle BC developed and distributed by the Depot collector should also be reported.

Are activities related to site maintenance of the depot supposed to be included in our GHG reporting? E.g. snow removal, depot site grading?

Maintenance activities that are required for the resident's safe access to and/or operations of the depot are to be included in your report submission.

If we have multiple depot locations, should we be reporting for each or as a total for the municipality? Are separate WeRecycle Portal logins needed?

As a municipality or service partner, you will be set up with one account to login to the WeRecycle Portal and will be required to submit multiple reports for each of the principal depots included in your agreement.

If I have one utility bill, what methodology should I use to allocate Recycle BC’s portion? I have one megabag of Recycle BC material stored indoors, which also houses a baler used 100% for baling Recycle BC material.

If operation of the baler is expected to be a major source of total electricity demand at the depot, then estimate the total kilowatt-hours (kWh) attributable to its yearly operation. This can be done by determining the power consumption in watts multiplied by the total hours in operation. This amount can be subtracted from the total kWh annual electricity consumption at the depot, with the remaining kWhs being allocated to Recycle BC based on the percentage of total floor space the megabag occupies.

What if electrical power to depot is shared between the transfer station, landfill and recycling depot, and it is difficult to determine what proportion is attributable to the recycle depot?

A standard approach will be used for all scenarios. The relative size of all offices, indoor works areas, illuminated outdoor work yards (including storage areas but excluding the landfill itself) and depot areas associated with that account will be used to proportionally split the utility bill accordingly. For instance, if the depot has 20% of the overall square footage of the transfer station, landfill offices, and work shop, then it should use 20% of its utility bill as the basis for its calculation.

If we are responsible for PPP hauling from our depot to the processor, do we report the hauling GHG as depot generation, or is there a different way?

The hauling of Recycle BC-related PPP from your depot to the processor will be captured under the post-collection scope of reporting, which is the responsibility of our post-collection partner, GFL to collect. GFL will work with you to get the information that they require for their reporting.

If the depot material is covered but not heated (e.g. lit barn, roofed open space depot), does that count as indoor space? How do we account for this type of storage?

We will need to know if there is any lighting/electricity used at the depot, and will review this scenario internally to ensure that it is an option for you to choose when you report your depot as a covered but not heated facility.

Our depot stores all material outside and our depot is outside. The only things inside are the bag stickers for shipping in a small locker. Do we report that?

If the material itself is collected and stored outside only, then please indicate that in your reporting. The storage of any related supplies to support the program is considered incidental and therefore, does not need to be included in your reporting.

Are satellite depots included in the scope of reporting by collectors?

Reporting GHG data related to satellite depots is the responsibility of the depot collector under contract. There is a section within the Portal which allows for reporting the fuel used to transport materials from the satellite depot to the principal depot where applicable.

Any other emissions data associated with the satellite depot(s) also needs to be included with the report of the  principal depot’s data to which the material goes.

Do we need to include reporting on fuel consumption for transporting recyclables from a satellite depot to our main depot/processing facility? Would we include the transport emissions info with the depot or would those emissions default to information reported by the post-collection partner, GFL?

You are responsible for reporting information in the WeRecycle Portal directly related to the drop off depot portion of the facility, and not the processing portion. GHG reporting requirements related to the processing facility are the responsibility of our post-collection partner, GFL, to collect and report on. It is GFL’s responsibility to collect the information related to post-collection activities on an annual basis and report it to Recycle BC.

Our location includes both a drop off depot and a processing facility where material is pre-sorted and baled. Do we include information for both the depot and processing facility, or just related to the drop off depot?

For the depot collection portion of your reporting requirements, you would be responsible for reporting information related to the drop off depot. GHG reporting requirements related to the processing facility would be the responsibility of our post-collection partner, GFL, to collect and report on.

If I do not have my December Hydro bill, how would I complete my reporting?

We recommend using the previous years' hydro bill amount and input those figures, or duplicate the hydro amounts entered for October/November.

  • Was this article helpful?